Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Handwriting vs. Typing in Journaling

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I wonder if there is any difference in the benefits of journaling through writing or typing. Can you achieve the same level of introspection typing out your thoughts vs. writing them down in a journal or plain piece of paper?

Pros of Handwriting

  • You don't only have to stick with words, you can draw.
  • You can think about what you write and reflect on it.
  • Make tables easily to set up a plan of action or a list of pros and cons of a decision.
  • You can take a journal anywhere, no need for electricity.
  • Take a break from typing and the thought that you should be working on an article.
  • There are fewer distractions because there is no e-mail to check or instant messages.

Pros of Typing

  • Most people can type faster than they think so thoughts can flow quickly.
  • You can create many different journals for each section of your life, such as work, family, and hobbies.
  • You can create a blog journal and share it with friends.
  • You can use spellchecker and grammar check.


 

Well, I have come up with many more pros of handwriting a journal than typing. I guess you could say that my blog here is a journal but I don't really feel like it's a real journal because I don't let myself go as much as I would if it were a personal journal. I can't say everything I think about and I can't let myself just type without thinking about grammar or if my sentences make sense. To me, a journal is something you can free yourself with. You start writing and just let your mind unload onto the paper. I don't think I can do that on the computer. I just feel like I need to be doing something else… It's time to close the screen, take out my trusty journal and start handwriting.

No comments:

 
Serenity Blogger Template